Do you qualify to join the British Army? Or have you ever dreamt of joining the Army in the future? There are a few requirements which you need to meet, to join the military forces. You can join the British military as an officer or soldier.
To Join as an Officer:
- You must be between 18 and 29
- If you are over 30, you may be considered, but on a case by case basis
- You may also join at a higher age if you’re a doctor, engineer, or any other specialist
- You must be aged from 15 and a half to 17 and a half years to gain entry to Welbeck
- If you want a scholarship, you must not be 18 or over by 1st August in the year the scholarships are awarded
To Join as a Soldier:
- You must be at least 16 years
- You can start your application when you’re over 15 and a half years
- You need the consent of your parent(s) if you’re not yet 18
- You must be enlisted before you reach the age of 36 years
Tests You Must Pass to Join the British Army
Make sure you’re superfit before you start your application process. Strength and stamina tests you undergo include:
- 44 and 22 press-ups in two minutes if you’re a man and woman respectively
- Perform 50 sit-ups in less than two minutes
- Run for 1.5 miles
- Beep test, where you run between two marked lines until you can longer continue
Did you know that certain health conditions may hamper you from joining the Army? A medical test is conducted to ensure you’re healthy and that you’ve no underlying medical conditions. Diseases which may cost you a career in the military include chest disorders, psychiatric problems, neurological disorders, abdominal problems, and back, bone and joint problems. Use the livi medical app to consult medical professionals and seek help anytime, anywhere in Britain. You may also be denied entry into the British Army if currently pregnant, if you have eye or ear problems, or have blood disorders.
Joining the Army When You’re Under 15 Years
Think you’re not old enough to join the British Armed Forces? Ultimately, you can join the Army if you’re between the ages of 12 and 18. You may join by registering with the Army Cadet Force. At this stage, you engage in a myriad of Army-like activities, sports, outdoor adventures, expeditions, and learn about weapon handling and survival skills.
Can Foreign Nationals Join the British Army?
If you don’t live in Britain or you have a foreign friend who wants to try their hand in the Army, the good news is, that the British government allows foreign individuals from overseas Commonwealth countries to join its Army. In 2018, the British government introduced a rule to allow foreign nationals from Kenya, Australia, India, Fiji, and other countries to join the Army, even if they’ve never lived in or visited this country. This was to counter the shortage in the number of officers and soldiers.